A Boomer Sooner Weekend
The first weekend in October, Jerrod and I were able to take our annual "babymoon" to Texas for the ever popular "Red River Rivalry" game between OU and Texas. Okay, so it wasn't exactly the most romantic "babymoon" we have ever taken, because we were with family the whole time, but it was quite enjoyable to be kid free for a few days! (Sorry Kennedi and Kaden!, and Thanks Mom and Dad, and Brent!)
Actually, "quite enjoyable" was an understatement. We had an absolute BLAST there. We went with Jaela, and her boyfriend Ryan, and met up in Texas with Mitch and Susie. A big thank you to them for buying our plane tickets!
We were SO excited to proudly wear our Sooner gear and let the rivalry begin. It started from the second we entered the hotel lobby when we saw some Texas fans.
Most people that I know, don't fully comprehend the magnitude of this weekend. We weren't just going to a Saturday football game...we were going to one of THE games of the college football season!
The first time that I got to experience an OU football game, I was officially hooked. I loved every part about it. I loved the crazy fans, the sea of crimson red Sooner gear, the constant chanting of "Boomer Sooner", and I even loved when the lady on the opposing team threw her empty pop cup at my head.
But that was last time.
This time it was the biggest rivalry game for OU and Texas, and fans look forward to this game all year. I couldn't believe that we were able to go. It really was so much fun.
The first night that we were there, we went to downtown Dallas and ate dinner and walked around the West End. You could see nothing but a sea of Sooner crimson red, and Longhorn burnt orange. Fans were giving each other a hard time. Thankfully, we didn't see any fights. I think people did a pretty good job of behaving themselves. It was so fun to watch and be a part of.
We bought a few shirts, walked around, and then headed back to the hotel for our big day the next day.
In front of the "West End" entrance throwing our "Down with the Longhorns" sign!
SATURDAY: GAME DAY
We woke up early to get to the Texas State Fair. The game started at 2:30, so we had some free time before the game to enjoy the fair.
Here are a few photos of us before we left for the fair...
Ryan, Jaela, Susie, Jerrod and Heidi
Jaela, Susie, Mitch, Heidi, and Jerrod
I painted my toes and fingernails
And, don't you say that I don't even look pregnant here, because I am just about 34 weeks along!! I got a slightly bigger shirt so that I could be comfortable all day.
The view from the Texas Star ferris wheel.
This is the band semi-truck.
Everyone filing in to the Cotton Bowl.
The view from our seats. They were pretty good seats! We sat by some fun fans the first half of the game, so it made it even more enjoyable.
It was a pretty hot day, especially for us Washingtonians.
Ryan and Jaela
Us, after our 28-20 Victory over the Texas Longhorns!! Boomer Sooner!!
The sun was beating down on us almost the whole game and we got a little bit burnt. Well, Jerrod got A LOT burnt on his face. He had this outline from his sunglasses. It was pretty funny.
After the game, we walked around and got a picture with "Big Tex".
It was a long, fun, day. That night, we drove back to Tulsa to stay for a couple more days to visit family.
We were able to see almost everyone from Jerrod's Dad's side at Grandma Joyce's birthday party. It was nice to see everyone and celebrate Grandma.
We were also able to spend some time with Aunt Gina and Uncle Tim, Tiffany, Treyce, and Grandma Jean. We always have such a great time with them.
It was such a great weekend. Jerrod and I talked about making that weekend a new tradition of ours...maybe every other year. I never thought that I would love the game of football as much as I do now. But, not just any football...Sooner Football!!!


















Comments