Christmas 2008

We spent a few days with my family for Christmas in Ellensburg. My whole family was able to be there this year. We had a lot of fun just being together and of course, playing lots of games. We are definitely a game-type family. Those are the moments where we love and hate each other all at the same time.

I decided that I would be in charge of this year’s Christmas Eve activity. Jerrod kept giving me a hard time because I got this idea from Oprah, but I thought that it was a great idea. My mom and I decorated small boxes for each person in the family. We carefully picked out colors and patterns for each individual. Then, that evening, we all sat around the table and wrote little notes to each other to be put in the boxes. Just small notes of appreciation. It was very hard to just write a few things, but I loved being able to just reflect on each person and why they meant so much to me. It took some time writing 12 notes, but it definitely was worth it. We saved the boxes to be read Christmas morning.

Later that night we all opened up one gift. Jerrod and I have a tradition with my little family that we get pajamas each year. So, we all got our new pj’s. Here are some pictures of us and the pj’s.

One of my favorite traditions that my family has is that all the kids sleep in the same room on Christmas Eve. Needless to say that when I got married, that tradition stopped for me. But really I was okay with it because they all looked like a can of sardines squished in one little room. They always end up laughing and having a great time. I do miss that part in a way.

Jerrod and I had so much fun playing “Santa” this year. I think that Christmas is so much more fun being a parent! We had a blast going to stores to shop for our kids. It is fun to start our own family traditions.

Christmas morning we awoke at probably 7:30. (Now I can’t remember) Kaden wanted to eat, so he is the one that woke us all up. We actually had to wake the kids up. Kennedi is still a little young to thoroughly appreciate Christmas, so we had to help her figure out what was going on. Everyone opened their gifts from Santa and we then all got ready for the rest of the day while mom made breakfast. After breakfast, we sat around together and opened our boxes of notes. It was neat for all of us to sit there in silence and read the tender words that others wrote to us. There was laughter and tears all at the same time. I am so thankful that we did that. Those notes are things that I will treasure forever.

After we read the notes, we opened up gifts. Gifts at our house takes hours. (I am not kidding) We each take our turn, youngest to oldest, and open a gift. Towards the end, we usually get impatient and just open them out of order. Kennedi got fussy and tired because it was right in the middle of her nap time, but she would get excited about the gifts she received. Kaden, of course, didn’t have a clue what was going on, but we sure are thankful for him.

Mostly, I just loved being with my family to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. How thankful I am for Him and His sacrifice for me. I hope that this year that I will strive more to grow closer to Him and to be able to make sure others know that they are loved by the Savior through my words and actions.

DISCLAIMER:
I am doing this on our Mac, and for some reason it won't let me move the pictures around, so some of these are out of order.

CHRISTMAS MORNING
Kaden's Stocking


Kennedi's Stocking

We got Kennedi this star that goes in her room. She loves it and has to have it on every night.
Our little guy just watching all the action on Christmas morning.

Trying to show Daddy her present from Santa.


Of course Kaden didn't really know what was going on, but he liked the paper!


Our Family on Christmas Morning


Sweet Kennedi feeding her little piggy.


VISITS WITH THE GILMOURS
The Gilmours are near and dear to my heart. Crystal is my very best friend from high school and I love her parents just as much. (She would argue that I love them even more!)
Whenever I get the chance to see them, I love it. It is just like Crystal and I are teenagers again, laughing and having a blast with her parents. I am so thankful for their friendship. They mean so much to me.

Auntie Crystal and Kaden.


CHRISTMAS MORNING READING THE NOTES









CHRISTMAS MORNING OPENING GIFTS
Michael gave Jerrod a gift. It was so funny because that was a couple weeks before the College Championship Football game between OU and Florida. Sad to say now that Florida won.

DALLIN'S WEDDING RECEPTION
We were able to go to Dallin and Ashley's reception over the Christmas break. I was so happy to see him and his beautiful wife and how happy they are together. Dallin is like a brother to me, so it was fun to help him celebrate.



Joel Gibb and I also grew up together. He and his wife, Jill, just had their first baby. It is always fun to see people that you grew up with have their own little families.

Hillary and me. Hillary is Blaine's wife. I am also thankful for their friendship. It was great to see them!


RANDOM PICTURES OF THE BREAK
It was so dang cold and the wind was blowing like crazy. We still managed to get somewhat of a decent picture out of it.

Me and my honey

Fun in the Kitchen
This is my most amazing Grandma. She is 80 something (I feel bad that I don't remember!) I wanted to get some pictures of her. I just think that she is beautiful.

These two are so silly. Up close, this picture is HILARIOUS! Mikaela's eyeballs are right in the center!
Laurel has always dreamed of having these kind of pajamas that actually fit her. I tried getting her some last year, but they were too small. Well, Mom finally did it. She found some that worked. Laurel loves them and they are definitely "Laurel." She is one of the funniest people I know and I really can see her wearing them at college in her apartment all the time!

My Aunty Mary Lou came over one day with surprises for the girls. Inside the box were princess cakes. They were so cute. The girls loved them.

Okay, I know this is random, but one night, Kristen was out hanging out and we decided that we would play a prank on her. The boys (including Jerrod) figured a way to put seran wrap across the way so that when Kristen walked in, she would walk into it. They also put corn syrup all over it. We stayed up so late waiting for her to see what she would do, but she got home too late for any of us to stay up. The next morning we woke up to find that nothing had been done. When Kristen woke up, she said..."what the heck is that seran wrap doing there?" She then said that she saw the reflection in the moonlight and just ducked under it. Sorry boys....it was a good effort though!

Comments

Lindsey said…
1. Love, love the little note idea.
2. What an adorable star for Kennedi's room.
3. The seran prank is hilarious. Too bad it didn't work :) It reminds me of something Chad would do. He always pulls pranks on my younger sisters when we go over to visit. It's something they have come to expect!
- I'm enjoying reading all your updated posts, thanks :)

Popular posts from this blog

12

A VERY Significant Day

My Story--10 Years