
In January, Jerrod and I were able to take a short trip to Cancun without our kids. Jerrod earned the trip through work, so we were able to be there with some close friends. My wonderful parents watched our kids so that we could go and just be “Heidi and Jerrod” again. It was a great trip for us. The weather wasn’t the greatest, but we loved spending our time together. We were gone from our kids for a total of 6 days. It wasn’t even as hard as I thought it would be. We were having too much fun to really “miss” them. The only thing that I was worried about was Kaden not taking a bottle. He never liked bottles and has gone 13 hours without eating before because he was being watched and wouldn’t eat from a bottle. Now, before all of you think that I am a terrible mother for leaving him when I knew that he was like this, I will have you know that his pediatrician gave me the “okay”. He said that I needed to go on the trip and that Kaden would get it figured out eventually. He did. A whole day later, he decided that the bottle wasn’t such a bad thing. I am so thankful to my mom, grandma, and Mikaela for their patience with him. It has definitely made my life a little easier now that he is taking a bottle!
Kennedi never liked bottles either, so I think that my kids are what I call “nipple snobs”. J My next children will also be sent to “Grandma’s Bottle Boot Camp” if they have that problem as well! Thanks Mom!
Our flight was delayed for a good part of the day, so we got into Cancun late on Sunday night. On Monday, we met up with friends and went to Mercado 28. We had been there before, so we thought that it would be fun to take Max and Sarah. We decided to go in the morning because we thought it would be cooler. It was fun walking around and trying to barter with the people. After that, we came back to the hotel and ate lunch and then decided to go swimming. The only problem was that the sun left. It was very cloudy, but we decided that we probably wouldn’t have any other time to go swimming in the pool. We hung out in the cold pool for a few hours and just had a lot of fun. We then showered and walked down to the “city” part. We kept getting invited to go into clubs. We just walked around for a while and bought some treats. The next day, we woke up early and went to Xel-Ha. It is a natural water park with snorkeling, swimming and many other activities. It was also cloudy that day, but we decided to make the most of it. We snorkeled and saw some really pretty fish and we swam over stingrays. It scared me so bad…I didn’t like that too much. We then ate lunch there…it was awesome. Great authentic Mexican food and free daiquiris and pina colada’s (virgin of course!). We then decided to float down the river in a double tube. Sarah and I floated and the boys swam and snorkeled. It was raining slightly, but we still had fun. We came to a spot where there were two ropes from one platform to another over the water. There was one rope to stand on, and one rope to hold on to. Sarah and I decided that we were going to cross it. I went first and I really felt like I was straight out of “Survivor”. At least, that was my mentality so that I could finish without falling! The only problem I had was that I had just ran my 10k about a month before that and I had Plantar Fasciitis. (It is VERY painful at the bottom of the foot.) The rope was digging very hard into the bottom of my foot and I was seriously almost in tears, but the competitor in me wouldn’t allow myself to give up. Sarah and I both finished and it was a great feeling. There was a guy that was hanging out with our group that had a waterproof camera that we took pictures from, but he hasn’t sent them to me.
The boys had fun snorkeling. It was so fun to watch them because they looked like little boys having a blast. One of the funniest things that happened was there was a guy who was falling out of his tube and was literally freaking out while trying to get back in. I think he thought he was going to drown. Max went to his rescue and helped him back up. Then after he floated away, he yelled to Sarah and I, “Hey, did you guys see me save that guys’ life?” It was SO funny. I am laughing about it now! (Maybe you had to be there)
We got back late that night and had to leave the next morning. We really had so much fun together and being able to spend time with such great friends. It was a short trip, but we were happy to be back home with our kids. I actually didn’t really miss them until it was time to come home. Here are a plethora of pictures that highlight our trip…

One of my greatest friends, Sarah.

Max (Sarah's husband, and one of Jerrod's best friends) trying to open a coconut.

Kip, Max, Sarah, and I in a bus on our way to the market.

The wind blowing in my hair.

At the market trying to be gangsta.

Sarah and I "trying" to barter. We had the hardest time trying to figure out pesos. It really isn't that difficult...just for us!

Of course they have the cutest little kids there trying to sell you stuff. We bought Kennedi a bracelet from her.

The boys enjoying a Mexican Coke. They are SO good!

This guy was amazing. He made this cute little grasshopper out of a blade of grass.
The people there are so talented. They really use their resources to make money.




We ate street tacos out of the back of a guys truck. They were yummy. I loved them. It took a little convincing to get Max and Sarah to eat them, but they did, and loved them.


The boys riding in the back of the bus.

At dinner.

Taking advantage of our all-inclusive "fun" drinks.

At the outdoor mall "La Isla"

"Hello, Bruce!"


No, Jerrod didn't find a lady there...this is a mannequin head. The lady thought we were really weird. We thought it was funny.



Kip, Max and Jerrod

These huge things were all over Xel-Ha.





Looking for shells.


The morning we had to leave.
Comments