Greatest Gift
Today is my 27th birthday. At 5:30 this morning, I received the greatest gift from my darling three year old, Kennedi.
You know how when you were younger, and you would ask your mom what she wanted for her birthday or Mother's Day and she would say something like, "I just want you to not fight with your brothers and sisters today." or "I want you to clean the house for me without complaining."
This was often the answer in our home. I never understood why on earth my mom would want something like that.
Today, I understood requests like that.
Kaden has an ear infection and woke up crying this morning. We got him Tylenol and then laid him in bed with us. Kennedi was already in our bed. (a very common occurrence in our home.)
Naturally, she woke up while Kaden was crying. She knew that he was sad or sick or something, because she just rolled over by him and started to "shh" him to help soothe him and patted his back until he fell asleep. He even fell asleep for a little bit and then woke up with some whimpering, and she did it again. Shushing and patting, until he fell asleep.
I just laid there, overwhelmed by the sweet little spirit that I have the privilege of calling my daughter. I couldn't help but smile and think of what a great birthday gift that she just gave me, but didn't or won't realize until she is a mother.
Comments