[rez-uh-loo-shuhn]
res·o·lu·tion (noun)
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
It is that time of year again. The New Year. January 1. The time to look back at your previous year and make a resolve to be better. Do better things. Change.
When I lived in Ecuador, I was there over New Year's. They have a tradition where they buy a huge stuffed mannequin and on New Year's Eve, they burn it with things or words written on paper about things that you are wanting to burn with the outgoing year. It was pretty therapeutic and fun. I don't think it would go over well here in the states because they just burn it in the streets, but it is a fun memory and something I think of every year.
I love goal setting. I love to decide that I want to be better. I may not always follow through with everything that I set a goal for, but that is just life. There is always a new day, so there is always a new time to be better.
This year, I have a few goals. Some are spiritual, and some are physical.
I want to fervently read The Book of Mormon. Study it and apply it to my life. We were challenged in our Sunday School class to pick out an attribute of the Savior and during our reading this year, look for that specific attribute and study, ponder, and then apply it to our every day lives. I am excited about this challenge. I am wanting to work on the attribute of Patience. I want to be a more patient wife and mother. I believe that if I can work on this in my home, then everything else will start to follow.
I also want to eat healthier. I want our whole family to be healthier. Jerrod and I started the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and I am excited to feel great. Hopefully it will jump start us to have a healthier lifestyle.
I am also going to run a half marathon. I signed up to run one on Christmas Eve, but I got sick the night before. It was really disappointing, but there are always half marathons that I can sign up for and run. So, this year, I will do it. Who knows?? Maybe I will run two!
And for those of you who have really missed my blogging, here is my resolution to you and to my family. I will be better at blogging. I will never catch up. Not in the way that I was hoping, so I am starting today, and am going to stay on top of it! I am going to be doing a blog post every Friday called "Flashback Friday". There is where I will catch up from July 2011 to now. I really view this blog as somewhat of a family history. I want my children to be able to look back on it, read it and love it. So, this is mostly for them. I am going to blog about our fun times, and our difficult times. Anything that I want them know or remember.
So, here is my little bit of memory for today.
January 1, 2012
Today Kaden started Sunbeams! I can't believe that my little boy is already old enough to be in Primary. When there are milestones like that, it forces you to realize how fast time really does fly. It doesn't seem so fast when you are arguing with your kids about bed time EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. Or trying to get them to sit still for a whole Sacrament meeting week after week. Or telling them to stop fighting with each other day after day.
I think that these special days are little tender mercies from the Lord to remind you that all of those struggles are worth it. Whether you like it or not, your kids are growing up. Change is happening. It doesn't seem like it day after day, but it really is happening before our very eyes. Kennedi is now in the CTR 5 class. Kaden is a Sunbeam and Kohen will be in Nursery in 4 short months. I love my kids. More than anything. They are the reason I do what I do. It is the hardest job ever, but it is so worth it.
Today we played games as a family. It was fun to have all of us, well, the 4 of us with Kohen running around, playing a game together. We laughed and smiled the whole time. I just wanted to freeze that moment. I had so many thoughts run through my head. Mostly about how important it is for us to slow down and create those memories with our kids. That is another one of my New Year's Resolutions. I think Jerrod and I both agree on that one.
So, to you I say, Happy New Year. Happy New YOU.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
It is that time of year again. The New Year. January 1. The time to look back at your previous year and make a resolve to be better. Do better things. Change.
When I lived in Ecuador, I was there over New Year's. They have a tradition where they buy a huge stuffed mannequin and on New Year's Eve, they burn it with things or words written on paper about things that you are wanting to burn with the outgoing year. It was pretty therapeutic and fun. I don't think it would go over well here in the states because they just burn it in the streets, but it is a fun memory and something I think of every year.
I love goal setting. I love to decide that I want to be better. I may not always follow through with everything that I set a goal for, but that is just life. There is always a new day, so there is always a new time to be better.
This year, I have a few goals. Some are spiritual, and some are physical.
I want to fervently read The Book of Mormon. Study it and apply it to my life. We were challenged in our Sunday School class to pick out an attribute of the Savior and during our reading this year, look for that specific attribute and study, ponder, and then apply it to our every day lives. I am excited about this challenge. I am wanting to work on the attribute of Patience. I want to be a more patient wife and mother. I believe that if I can work on this in my home, then everything else will start to follow.
I also want to eat healthier. I want our whole family to be healthier. Jerrod and I started the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and I am excited to feel great. Hopefully it will jump start us to have a healthier lifestyle.
I am also going to run a half marathon. I signed up to run one on Christmas Eve, but I got sick the night before. It was really disappointing, but there are always half marathons that I can sign up for and run. So, this year, I will do it. Who knows?? Maybe I will run two!
And for those of you who have really missed my blogging, here is my resolution to you and to my family. I will be better at blogging. I will never catch up. Not in the way that I was hoping, so I am starting today, and am going to stay on top of it! I am going to be doing a blog post every Friday called "Flashback Friday". There is where I will catch up from July 2011 to now. I really view this blog as somewhat of a family history. I want my children to be able to look back on it, read it and love it. So, this is mostly for them. I am going to blog about our fun times, and our difficult times. Anything that I want them know or remember.
So, here is my little bit of memory for today.
January 1, 2012
Today Kaden started Sunbeams! I can't believe that my little boy is already old enough to be in Primary. When there are milestones like that, it forces you to realize how fast time really does fly. It doesn't seem so fast when you are arguing with your kids about bed time EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. Or trying to get them to sit still for a whole Sacrament meeting week after week. Or telling them to stop fighting with each other day after day.
I think that these special days are little tender mercies from the Lord to remind you that all of those struggles are worth it. Whether you like it or not, your kids are growing up. Change is happening. It doesn't seem like it day after day, but it really is happening before our very eyes. Kennedi is now in the CTR 5 class. Kaden is a Sunbeam and Kohen will be in Nursery in 4 short months. I love my kids. More than anything. They are the reason I do what I do. It is the hardest job ever, but it is so worth it.
Today we played games as a family. It was fun to have all of us, well, the 4 of us with Kohen running around, playing a game together. We laughed and smiled the whole time. I just wanted to freeze that moment. I had so many thoughts run through my head. Mostly about how important it is for us to slow down and create those memories with our kids. That is another one of my New Year's Resolutions. I think Jerrod and I both agree on that one.
So, to you I say, Happy New Year. Happy New YOU.
Comments