"Never Say Never"
Growing up, I always played basketball. That was a sport that made sense to me. #1 It is an indoor sport. #2 The ball is actually big enough to see when it is flying straight at you. #3 You don't have to run the ENTIRE time. And #4 I just loved playing.
The one sport I didn't understand was Cross Country. I thought those kids were just nuts. What on Earth makes a person want to just run??!! How is that fun?
Even as I got older and would hear of people who would be training for some sort of run. (ex: 5-k, 10-k, half marathon or a marathon) Still, I thought those people were crazy. I have played basketball with a group of girls once a week for about 2 years now and they would talk about training for a run. I would then join their conversation laughing at them (in a nice way) and tell them how that was just crazy talk and that I would NEVER do something like that.
Well, we all know the saying..."Never Say Never"
Because I did it...I registered for a 10-K run.
I think that pregnancy does crazy things to people. When we were pregnant, my friend Katie and I decided that after we had our babies, that we would train for a race of some sort. We thought it would be "fun" and mostly good for us to get back into shape. So, we are doing it, along with some other girls that we talked into.
A 10-K race is 6.25 miles. We thought that we would start small.
So, for the past 4 weeks I have been using a training program that I found online and I have been doing it. I run 3 times a week with other forms of exercise in between. It is a gradual increase in distance to train my body. I have actually really been enjoying it. Okay, so I don't really enjoy the run while I am actually running, but afterward, I feel so good. I feel very accomplished. Last week I ran a 3 mile and a 4 miler without stopping or walking! It was hard but I felt great. My goal is to not walk during the race at all so that is how I am training. I don't let myself walk. I don't care about my time. I just want to finish this race with the goal of not walking or stopping.
I can actually understand why something like this can be addicting! It is crazy. We will have to see how the actual race goes and then I will decide if this is something that I really want to do again. For now, I have enjoyed feeling great and getting back in shape post-baby.
The race is December 13th. It will probably be cold, but I am getting really excited for it!
I will definitely post about it when it is all said and done! Until then, I am off to run!!
Comments