My Thing
I LOVE being able to accomplish goals or actually do something that I set out to do.
Probably about 7 or so years ago, I started doing Tae-Bo videos at home/college. I loved the workout. Then, I found out that they offered a TurboKick workout class three times a week at school. I started going, and quickly fell in love with it. There I was, every time, right up in that front row, behind the instructor, doing my very best. I loved every minute of it. I had never had so much fun working out. I always thought to myself, "I would love to be get certified to be an instructor someday". When Jerrod and I moved to the Seattle area, I looked up days that they were certifying, but knew that we were going to start having kids soon, so I just put it off.
After having Kennedi, I continued to do my "Turbo Jam" DVD's.
And then, a little over a year ago, we joined our local YMCA. I started going to their Kickboxing class and REALLY LOVED IT. It is a shadow kickboxing class that incorporates hitting the bags and focus mitts as well. I quickly realized that this was my new passion. I went to classes as often as I could and started thinking "I could do this! I could teach!"
For the past year, that thought has gone through my head numerous times. I really just didn't think that it was possible until after I was done having my children. Before we left for the Summer, one of the instructors was pregnant and still teaching, and when we got back a different instructor was very pregnant and still teaching. That just made me think that maybe I didn't have to wait! So, a few weeks ago, after class, I asked an instructor who she certified through. I had been doing my research and discovered that it would take about $500 to certify through AFAA. She said that she got certified right there through the YMCA. She was so nice and took me up to her supervisor to get me more information.
And this is where things happened really fast.....
I met Doris, the supervisor over all of the adult exercise staff. The instructor said some very nice things about me and Doris then proceeded to tell me that they are in desperate need of someone to fill one of the instructors places because she was leaving within the next two weeks to have a baby. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity.
They informed me of some classes that I needed to take, but that the YMCA would pay for them if I "volunteered" instead of getting paid at first. I agreed, it was a great opportunity!
Well, here I am 4 1/2 weeks later, teaching my own class! I teach once a week and I LOVE IT.
I have also subbed a couple of times for another instructor. The feeling I have is amazing. I feel like besides being a wife and mother, this is what I was born to do. I love pushing people and having them look at me and complain during the workout, but then after come up to me and say "Thank you, I really needed that."
Someday, I may get paid for it, but until then, I am having so much fun anyways, that it is a form of payment in itself. You know how people have their "things"? Like, scrapbooking, crafting, dancing, etc.?
Well, I have come to find out that Kickboxing is "My Thing."
Comments
PS LET'S GET TOGETHER! I will call you today