Tigers Basketball

This last winter I volunteered to coach a kindergarten basketball team at the YMCA. I have always had a desire to coach, and they were in desperate need of volunteers, so I did it. I was so excited to get started with my team. I bought new basketballs, cones, and jersey's and Jerrod gave me a whistle and a basketball court white board. I even went all prepared to my first practice with a minute by minute outline of how the practice was going to play out. Now, remember I said that these were kindergarteners...meaning 5 and 6 year olds. After the first 3 minutes I quickly discovered that this wasn't going to go exactly as planned. I threw out my piece of paper and just did what I could with 9 little 5 year olds who had a hard enough time just holding onto the ball!!
After that practice I was wondering what the heck I got myself into!
The next week's practice went a lot better! Mostly because I went with no expectations.
Our first game was so much fun.
By the end of the season, I had fallen in love with all 9 of my players. It was amazing to me how much they had improved from the first practice. I really enjoyed coaching them.
After the last game we had a little team party and they all got certificates and medals. I got emotional when I was telling their parents how much I loved coaching their kids. They all gave me a signed basketball and a gift certificate to the Cheesecake Factory!
I am seriously considering coaching again next year. But, we will just have to see how I really feel when that time comes!

Comments

Hey Heidi! I just saw that you had a blog. Looks like your family is doing great! Your kids are so cute. And that is such a good idea to have your blog put into a book. Where do you get that done? Have a fun summer in Florida!

Popular posts from this blog

12

A VERY Significant Day

My Story--10 Years