To Dairy or Not to Dairy??

So here is some food for thought. (Pun definitely intended.) I love dairy. Like, I love it so much I really could never even think about taking it completely out of my diet permanently. You name it, I love it. Milk? By the glass fulls. Cheese? Please! Ice Cream? Ummmm is that really a question?? 

So, I have gone 18 days without dairy because I am doing the Advocare 24 Day Challenge. (Which I have LOVED! Ask me about that later.) It has been hard, but I figure that it is only 24 days. I can do it. 

Except, last night. I cheated. Just a little. I couldn't let Kennedi waste a perfectly (small) bowl of cereal go to waste right??!! So, I ate it. It was DELICIOUS. I mean, one of the best tasting things that I had had in a long time. I knew that it was cheating and I knew that I wasn't really supposed to be eating something like that until day 25 or so (yeah right, like I would have lasted past day 25). But for those few moments, I was in cereal heaven.

And then..............................

It started.  About an hour later, I started to feel bloated and my stomach hurt for THE FIRST TIME IN 18 Days!  In the past when I was the greatest eater ever  (NOT!!), I frequently felt bloated, or had, dare I say it, gas.  

So, last night when I had that feeling come back it hit me.  
1. I have not felt like this in 18 days.
2. Could it really be the milk that I just consumed an hour ago?
3. No, not the milk.  Maybe it was the cereal.  
4. No, it was probably the milk and I am SO angry.  

So, here is my conclusion.  I don't really know if I am Lactose Intolerant.  But if I am, I might just have to deal with the side effects because I really, really, really love milk.  (and cereal) 

But, I am so fascinated with the fact that I found this out because I have been off of dairy for 18 days.  It is crazy.  Maybe all you out there who believe that we really don't need dairy have a point.  I completley respect you for being able to go without because you feel so passionate about that area.  I just can't.  I know you think I can because I did for 18 days, but really 18 days is nothing.  

Bottom line........  I still love my milk and can't wait until day 25 to taste it again.  

What are your thoughts on milk?  Dairy?

Comments

I love Dairy too! I think our bodies adjust (that is if you really are NOT lactose intolerant). Once we get used to the dairy it doesn't bother our bodies. But I have noticed that if I don't have any for a while and then have some there is some slight adjustment.
Katie said…
dairy is sooo good. unfortunately, you probably are lactose intolerant or something along those lines...try lactaid. It might help things.
birthMOM said…
dairy is evil. (but not as much as soy is, thats REALLY of the devil!)

humans were never intended to digest cows milk aka lactose sugar, and casein protein is where a lot of the 'milk allergies' you hear about stems from. at the very least, if you are going to consume it, get it non pasteurized.

and what are you doing eating/drinking milk products while nursing anyways huh?! that is a HUGE no-no!!

have you tried goat yogurt and cheeses? i love it. (goats milk i think is gross, i use rice milk when needed)

also ice cream made from hemp milk is delish! so much richer and creamier than regular cow ice cream. the brand i like is called tempt.

good luck, you can do anything you set your mind to, even avoid milk! :P
Tyrell Berner said…
I eat cereal EVERY SINGLE MORNING and I seriously don't think I could live without milk. I heard that Bro. Pogue eats his cereal with water...

I guess if all of the cows died and stores stopped selling dairy products we would be just fine, but luckily that's not the case!
Jill said…
You should ask Joel about Dairy, being in Chiropractic school they teach them all sorts of stuff about how the majority of people are lactose and tolerant they just dont know it. Try lactose free milk, or almond or coconut milk. Almond milk isnt that bad but you definitely have to get use to it. Its only good in certain cereals since it has a distinct taste. I need to hear more on this diet though! Im needing to lose the rest of my baby weight :)
Christa said…
i don't really enjoy dairy. it makes me feel sick. I really like soy milk with cereal...it's so good. but not just for drinking.

Popular posts from this blog

A VERY Significant Day

12

Kaden Wyatt Brower