The Power of SEEING


Mt. Dew...Oh how I love thee, but you REALLY must go!

I have loved you for a very long time. I have loved you since I was younger and started drinking you at the movie theatre. At that age, it was only then when I would be allowed to have you because of course you are chuck full of caffeine, and no child needs more energy! Then, as I grew older, I began to drink you in high school because I was old enough to make my own choices when it came to which soda I would drink. This love continued on through college, and we developed a special relationship when I would make that 1o hour drive to and from college. You helped me stay awake and feel the energy that I needed. Thank you for that.

I must admit that over the past year I have cheated on you. I turned to Diet Coke and fell in love with that. I would love to squeeze fresh lime over the top and drink it with such delight. Then, a few weeks ago, I made a very long drive to Tulsa, OK. 8 1/2 hours to be exact. Well, I knew that you would be there for me. As before, you helped me stay awake and I just loved your sweet flavor. While in Tulsa, I drank about 2 cans a day. And, ever since then, I have been hooked on you again. But, I hate it! (Now is where I get angry)

I hate how I sit down to eat something and instead of pouring a tall glass of water, I open a cold can of Mt. Dew! I hate how I freaked out one time because I didn't have a can right there for me to drink. I hate how my water intake has gone down to about zero. I hate how you have caused me to gain weight! What the heck! Sure, I can see clearly on the back of your label that you have a whopping 46 grams of sugar, but what the heck does 46 grams of sugar mean to me?? I don't measure things in grams. So, I thought that I could just ignore it.

Well, today I made a decision! No more ignoring the fact that you have 46 grams. So, this is what I did. I went to the internet. "Googled" a grams to tablespoons conversion chart and this is what I got...3.23 TABLESPOONS of sugar! Now, that means more to me!

So, I took out my little tablespoon and carefully measured out 3.23 (give or take on the .23) of sugar and placed it in a baggy and taped it to my refrigerator. Then, I took a baggy and placed the amount of sugar in water. Oh, that's right...ZERO!

Needless to say, Mt. Dew. I am breaking up with you. I can't do it anymore. I can't keep gaining weight and craving you. It is not right and it is not how my body is supposed to feel. I am taking control of this issue. Don't worry, I am not going back to Diet Coke. I don't need that either. Sugar chemicals aren't good for me either. I am moving on to WATER.



Comments

Mason Manor said…
Good for you Heidi! Good luck! This is a hard habit to kick--I know I've done it (though my habbit was Coke--and not diet)! My advice?--Go cold turkey. Eventually you forget about the sweet, bubbly goodness and that satisfying "aaahhh" taste. Or maybe you never forget, but it's totally worth it. Hooray for water!
Jill said…
It also makes you think how much sugar are in cereal. I eat frosted mini wheats...11 grams of sugar! That always sounded kinda high for sugar, now that sounds like WAY TO MUCH sugar when i know now that 3.23 Tablespoons=1gram or sugar. Thanks for putting this in perspective for me.
Bryce said…
What an absolutely fantastic post! You have such a way with words! Bravo! It made me smile the whole time reading it. Also well done with your decision!!
Heidi B. said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Tyler said…
I am cracking up- but crying a little too because that just made me miss you even more than I was 5 mins ago... and I was already missing you! Good luck saying bye to Mt. There has to be some kind of group for those of us who are giving up dear friends like Mt. Dew and Diet Coke. Some group that starts with "Hi, My name is Katie, and I am a diet coke-a-holic"
Lindsey said…
I love this! What inspiration/motivation seeing that sugar everyday. I may have to borrow this idea, especially for those weak moments that seem to be occuring more frequently lately :) Good luck!!

Popular posts from this blog

12

A VERY Significant Day

My Story--10 Years