Someday I'm Gonna Look Back on this...

That "Someday" will probably be a while down the road though.  Just when I thought everything was over.  Meaning, I thought all my surgeries were done.  All my stones were out and I had nothing to do but heal and work my way back to being ME.  I think everyone had that same thought though.

Two weeks ago, I had a successful surgery where my Urologist went in through the holes from the tubes in my back to get to my kidney's to suck out the stones.  He said that he had gotten all of them.  Two days later, the tubes that had been in my body for the past 3 months came out.  I was incredibly emotional that day.  I couldn't believe that I was actually getting them removed.  Since December 2, 2010 I had not been able to take a regular shower.  For a month, I had bags hooked up to them to allow my urine to drain.  Although these tubes saved my kidneys, they were a huge annoyance.  After the bags were taken off, my Doc. wanted to keep them in just for that surgery that I had two weeks ago.  He wanted to keep the placement of the holes.  Thankfully now they are gone.

About a week ago, I took a REAL shower for the first time in a long time.  I was able to stand up and let water run down my back.  It is crazy how much I took that for granted before.  It felt amazing.

I had no reason to believe that everything from then on would be just as I planned.

But, unfortunately the way I plan things aren't always the way things go.

This last Tuesday, I went into my Urologist to get the two stents removed.  He said that the X-Ray showed that there were a few tiny stones left in the kidney, but that they shouldn't be a huge problem.
Literally 3 hours after I was in his office, I started to pass a stone.  SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  Unbelievable.
The next day I came down with a fever that lasted all day.  I called my Primary Care Dr. late Wednesday night to ask what I should do.  He told me to go into the ER based on my history.  I just cried and cried thinking that I was going to be right back in the situation that I was in December.
I called my RS Pres. and she came right over to be with the kids.

Before we left, I went into the kids' bedroom to tell them goodbye and to give them kisses.  I told Kennedi, "Daddy is taking Mommy to the Dr.  Mommy is sick again."
Then she said, "Mommy, are you going to the hospital?"
Oh that broke my heart.  My 4 year old knows that her Mommy and hospital somehow just fit together.

I spent all of Wednesday night in the hospital.  It was a long night, but at least I was there and being monitored.  The ER doc told me that they wanted to keep me based on my history.  I was admitted to a regular room Thursday afternoon.  After my blood count and urine tests, infection definitely showed presence.  They got me on an anti-biotic.  I also had an ultra sound done which thankfully came back normal.  So, I didn't have to have another surgery to place stents back in.

When I got back from my ultrasound, I had a new roommate.  Let's just say that she was a piece of work!  Holy cow.  She did just get out of surgery, and I am SURE she was in a lot of pain.   But, this lady was mean.  She was cussing up a storm and yelling at her nurses.  She was pretty upset that she couldn't have more pain meds.  She was throwing the "F" word around like it was nothing.  I just cringed every time I heard it.  It was going to be a LONG night.  No amount of Ambien would get me to sleep through that.  So, Jerrod talked to my nurse in the hall and asked for me to change rooms if possible.
I got another fever at about 7 pm.  It lasted for a few hours.
At about 10 pm they were able to get me into a new room.  Thankfully.  I slept well.

Now, I am in my room with a new roommate.  This lady is nicer, but still pretty demanding.  I have learned that I am a pretty good patient.  I don't expect the nurses to work MAGIC and make ALL of my pain go away.  I have also realized that I must be pretty tough.  The competitor in me wants to smack these ladies around and say "BUCK UP!!  YOU CAN DO IT!!"  But, I don't think that would be a very good idea.

Emotionally, I am drained.  I am so ready for this all to be over.  I mean, I thought it was.  My Doc. came in this morning to tell me that I will be here for another day.  As long as I have a fever, they want to keep me here.  I understand that we don't want the same thing to happen that did in December, but I really just want to be done and to be home and to get on with my normal life as a mother and wife.
Thankfully, I have the MOST AMAZING husband who has stuck by my side and has been wonderful with our kids.  He really does deserve that "Husband of the Year" award.  I love him and am SO thankful that he is MINE.

Someday.  Someday I will look back on this and be able to say that it was just a short time in my life.  Someday.  Unfortunately that Someday is not Today.

Comments

Bryce said…
I am sorry and our prayers are with you and your family.
Lindsey said…
This just breaks my heart, I too just want this to be all over for you. You are so strong, keep hanging in there. I'm so glad to hear that you got moved to another room! Take care, sending lots of hugs and prayers your way :)
Natalie said…
I heard something today that made me think of you. I was listening to John Bytheway - "Earth Shakers", and he had a quote "tribulation is preparation for greatness" Maybe that is at least one good thing you can gain from going through this Heidi. Love you and I am thinking of you.